Zumba, stretching and great guest speakers: Don’t miss WSLHD’s first wellbeing festival
WSLHD will launch its employee wellbeing program with a week-long festival in May.
Meditation, Zumba, laughing classes and internationally renowned guest speakers will kick off the program.
As well, employees can get brief health checks, take a stroll in the sun with members of the WSLHD executive on Walking Wednesday or put their abs to work in a core strengthening class.
Director of People and Culture Helen Emmerson said the festival would emphasise two key areas: diabetes prevention and resilience.
“Three presentations throughout the week by Diabetes NSW will highlight ways to prevent diabetes,” she said. “Many of us live in the areas tagged as ‘a diabetes hotspot’ and we want to ensure our people are well-informed and supported to prevent and maintain their diabetes related health.”
Resilience is pertinent to many employees, Helen said.
“Stress is a fact of life for people working in healthcare; our employees are often on the frontline of confronting situations. We want to have more options to support staff in managing themselves in this most complex and challenging environment.”
The festival will be held from May 29 until June 2. It will be officially launched by the WSLHD Executive.
So, what you can do at the WSLHD Wellbeing Festival?
- Grab a goodie bag from one of the wellbeing stalls set up at every hospital on Monday, May 29 – and pick up a free apple at the same time.
- Go to an inspiring talk by Sue Langley, an expert on neuroscience, emotional intelligence and positive psychology at work. Sue might look familiar – she appeared on the hit ABC program Redesign My Brain.
- Shake your booty at a Zumba class.
- Have a giggle in a laughing class.
- Hear an uplifting talk by Suzie Green, the recipient of an International Positive Psychology Fellowship Award who has been published in the Journal of Positive Psychology.
- Step out with your colleagues on Walking Wednesday – 20 minutes in the sun will improve your day!
- Get a brief health check through the Get Healthy at Work program (no needles!).
- Learn about how to get a good night’s sleep or better work/life balance.
- Dress to brighten everyone’s day on Feel Good Friday.
- And more!
You can check out the full program and book into a class here.