The Westmead Redevelopment team has looked back on the first six months of 2017, celebrating some milestones for the project.
Check out what’s been happening in:
Planning & preparing for the future
- Project user groups (PUGs) transitioned from the schematic design to the detailed design phase.
- PUGs undertook planning work, preparing services, departments and teams for redeveloped areas, including detailed patient flow mapping.
- The redevelopment team undertook site visits to other hospitals and services to inform planning.
- A mock-up inpatient unit room was created for planning, simulations and consumer engagement.
- New helipad – the new helipad at The Children’s Hospital at Westmead became operational in May.
- Temporary linkway – the temporary linkway that connects Westmead Hospital to The Children’s Hospital at Westmead opened in March.
Demolition & construction
- NETS building – demolition of the neonatal and paediatric emergency transport service (NETS) building ran from February to June.
Preparing for the new building
- The main works tender was awarded to Multiplex Constructions in March 2017.
- Multiplex arrived on site on 1 July, 2017. Early works for the new central acute services building have started.
- Multi-storey car park – construction work finished in June 2017.
- Oval car park – the oval car park opened in January 2017, creating another 350 spaces for staff.
- New Road car park – a landscaped green space near the New Road car park was completed in February 2017.
More than 30 per cent of clinical areas at Westmead Hospital will be refurbished between 2017 & 2022.
Refurbishment areas include ambulatory care, gastroenterology, aged care, respiratory and intensive care unit.
- Construction kicked off in February for the Westmead Education & Conference Centre (WECC).
- Construction started in April for A3A (new home for gastroenterology) and the O3Hub (new home for finance, clinical governance & procurement)
- B6 design development PUGs were completed in early May.
- The Kids Research Institute site was establihsed in June.