The Westmead Redevelopment project team and clinical leaders are working together to transform Westmead Hospital. The refurbishment program will impact more than 30 per cent of the clinical areas in the hospital and is expected to be completed by 2022.
In 2018, the refurbishment program enters stage two of the program of works. Stage one spanned 2016 to 2018. Stage two will span 2018 to 2020. Stage three will be undertaken in 2020-2022.
During 2018, the refurbishment program includes:
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) and Audiology (E2) operational commissioning and opening (construction was complete in 2017)
- Inpatient Unit (IPU B6) final construction, commissioning and opening – work is expected to be complete in March 2018
- Detailed Design (Project User Groups) and tender design for all areas below, with detailed design and tender design continuing until mid-2018
- The announcement of the tender and award for construction contractors for the stage two refurbishments
- Intensive Care Unit (ICU) expansion (D3) and admin (E3) – construction starts in 2018 with work anticipated to be complete in 2019
- Gastroenterology Comprehensive Care Centre expansion (A3c) – planning starts in 2018 with work expected to be complete in 2019
- Centre for Adolescent and Young Adult Health (E2) – planning and design with construction, commissioning and opening in 2019
- Aged Care expansion including a new Behavioural Management Unit (D4c) – planning and design in 2018 with construction, commissioning and opening 2019
- Central acute services building link to E2 (with retail) planning and design in 2018 with construction, commissioning and opening in line with the new building opening in 2020
- Transit Lounge expansion (G1) – planning and design in 2018 with construction, commissioning and opening 2020
- Refurbishment of the Western Sydney Local Health District clinical support and executive offices (E2) to implement agile work principles – planning and design in 2018 with construction, commissioning and opening in 2019
- Loading dock – planning and design in 2018 with construction to be confirmed
We thank our staff, patients, carers, families, researchers and students for their continued patience as we undertake this important work. Your safety and health is our priority. If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.
READ PART TWO OF THIS STORY
This is part one of a two-part story on the Westmead Hospital refurbishment program. Read part two which has more detailed information.