Celebrating 10 years of a new building and 111 years of great staff
“The bricks and mortar are important, but the soul of this hospital is the staff.”
These words from director of nursing Kate Murphy rang true for all in attendance celebrating 10 years of the new Auburn Hospital building today.
The new building was officially opened on May 20, 2009, representing a new chapter for a hospital that has served the area since 1908.
The “old” hospital building was erected in 1963, and it was in 2007 that the NSW Government decided to overhaul the facilities.
Community engagement saw art donated by local schools and artists, and the entire project was delivered in two years – on time and under budget.
Patients moved seamlessly from the old hospital to the current building in April 2009, and demolition work began on the old site in July that year.
It was then that crews uncovered a time capsule from 1963, complete with currency and newspapers from the era, as well as a program of events for the official opening.
Kate helped ensure copies were made before the artefacts were re-buried in the new hospital, along with additions from 2009.
“The staff at the time all wrote down what it meant to them to work at Auburn,” she said.
“A lot of those staff are still here today. The essence of any organisation is the people and that’s what makes Auburn Hospital so special.”
You must be logged in to post a comment.