Participants wanted: Study to investigate impact of apartment living on kids

Are you a parent with young children living in an apartment in the Parramatta local government area?

If so, Western Sydney Local Health District’s (WSLHD) population health team wants to talk with you.

WSLHD, in conjunction with the City of Parramatta Council, are conducting a study to find out what parents think about living in an apartment with their children and how this impacts children’s health and development.

The study team is now inviting parents to be involved in the Healthy High Density for Kids project, offering their thoughts on apartment living and its impact on their ability to “live well”.

Chief investigator and WSLHD population health director Christine Newman said the research is important to understand and plan for the needs of children and families living in apartments.

“We want to use the results of the project to help governments, urban planners, architects, property developers and public health professionals make decisions about child-friendly urban planning and housing design in Parramatta,” Christine said.

“We know housing is important for our children’s health but there’s limited Australian research on the topic. Participants will help us understand if there are any health or development issues for children living in apartments.

“Western Sydney is undergoing rapid infrastructure changes – where people live is changing and apartment living is on the rise; we want to know what impact that has on a child’s development – good or bad.”

To be involved in the study, participants must:

  • Live in a suburb within the Parramatta local government area
  • Live in an apartment building that is three or more storeys
  • Have a child aged between 0 and 5 years
  • Be happy to be interviewed by phone or in person by a member of the study team.

For more information, visit:

All information collected for the study is confidential. To participate in the study, contact Melissa Mason or Natalie Virgona on 9840 3603 or email or