Beware of deadly gas heaters
As winter approaches, Minister for Better Regulation Kevin Anderson has warned the public to be alert of the dangers of using unauthorised indoor portable gas heaters at home.
Mr Anderson said these devices, which use an LPG gas bottle, have been banned in NSW because they are a major fire hazard and have failed to meet Australian safety standards.
“These products are extremely dangerous and we have a number of examples of them malfunctioning and bursting into flames in NSW homes,” Mr Anderson said.
“With the weather getting cooler, please don’t be tempted to buy a cabinet heater, and always check for safety certification prior to purchasing any heating device.”
Cabinet heaters have been banned in Australia for over a decade, however are still being imported and sold to Australians via popular auction websites.
“Cabinet heaters fail the basic safety checks required to keep you and your family safe and should never be used at home,” Mr Anderson said.
“There is real and serious risk that lives could be lost if consumers continue to buy and use them.”
Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said it was more important than ever to prepare homes for winter, as families were spending more time at home due to COVID-19 restrictions.
“Firefighters spent a tumultuous summer protecting NSW residents from the fires raging outside the home, but now is the time for residents to take care, listen to the experts and ensure your families are protected from avoidable dangers inside the home,” Mr Elliott said.
“Winter is the time when we see an increase in residential house fire related fatalities, so remember to be careful when using heaters, fireplaces, and electric blankets this winter.”
For more information on how to keep your family safe during the colder months, visit the Product Safety Australia website.