Almost 250 Western Sydney Local Health District staff have celebrated the Best of the West at the 2021 WSLHD Quality Awards.
Hosted by Studio 10’s Angela Bishop at the iconic CommBank Stadium, the event on Tuesday 7 December was high in energy and a display of appreciation for the year that was with free food, drinks, live entertainment and dancing.
“It’s really critical for us to get together at least once in the year and take a breath and stop,” chief executive Graeme Loy said during his opening remarks.
“It’s been a phenomenal year – we did very, very well – don’t think for a second that we weren’t an outstanding local health district that provided amazing services to the community and kept everyone safe.”
“A big congratulations to all finalists and winners, and thank you for your vision and drive to continually improve our district and community.”
Graeme also shared his appreciation for both his executive team and staff throughout the COVID-19 pandemic and the willingness displayed to continue to serve the community through trying times.
“No-one has said, ‘but that’s not my job’. Everyone has said, ‘what can I do next?’,” Graeme said.
“Our staff are the cornerstone of what we do, and that’s why we choose (the theme) ‘Best of the West’, which is absolutely reflective of who we are and what we do.”
In addition to the presentations of the 2021 Quality Awards and WSLHD Employees of the Year, Cdarz Entertainment wowed the audience and brought an end to formalities with an unforgettable drumming and musical display.
With 52 entries across seven categories, the calibre of nominees and finalists this year was nothing short of exemplary.
Here are your winners for the Best of the West Quality Awards 2021:
- Transforming Patient Experience: “Dialysis free-time” through incremental peritoneal dialysis: Blacktown, Mount Druitt, and Westmead Hospital
- Patient Safety First: I hear you: Integrated Chronic Care Program
- Delivering Integrated Health Care: COVID-19 Care in the Community
- Keeping People Healthy: Conquering the COVID Chaos: A communication lifeline
- People and Culture: Virtual Connect – Oral Health Clinic interpreting
- Innovation and Research: All aboard the physiotherapy telehealth service: Westmead Hospital
- Education and Training: Network 5 – Emergency Medicine Journal Club: Westmead Hospital
- Excellence in Aboriginal Health Care: Support for Aboriginal People Program
- Excellence in Mental Health Provision: Emergency Psychiatric Interactive Conferencing
- Chief Executive Award: ALS-SimVR: ALS Team Leader Training in VR
- Board Chair Award: Baby Steps: Auburn Hospital
- Allied Health Professional of the Year: Christine Vo
- Corporate Services Professional of the Year: Katy Martin
- Nurse of the Year: Anandhi Murugesan
- Doctor of the Year: Dr Shopna Bag
“All the entries were fantastic; it was really hard to choose the winners,” added Graeme.
What remains constant is everyone’s commitment – we have 14,000 employees and everyone deserves an award.”